|'Meadow Walk' 8x10 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
Today I'd like to share a step by step demo of 'Meadow Walk'
- (from top left) I am using my own homemade support which is a pumice and gesso brushed onto a piece of Gator foam. I tinted my pumice mixture with Golden liquid acrylic before I applied it to the board.
- I lightly sketched my main shapes with a purple Nupastel. My first step is to block in the dark shapes. Anything that is dark is blocked in with a dark purple, dark blue and dark green. I am using all soft pastels (see below)
- In this step you can see I have extended the dark down into the meadow to add a subtle leading line into the painting. It will be covered by the grasses but I need to put it in early. I have also put in some mauve in the distant field, This will give added interest to the greens. I have also started to block in the mountain colors.
- In this step I continue to add some blues and purples to the mountain. I am starting to carve into the tree shapes with the mountain color to make the shapes more interesting. I block in the sky with a dew colors....pale blues and peach.
- In this step I am introducing some green. I have developed the trees further and added some light cool green in the distant field.
- Now I work on the meadow. I added some pinks and peaches and I actually like the warmth that these colors add. I probably could have stopped at this point but I kept going and added some greens. I ended up overworking this part of the painting. So I rubbed it in and sprayed the bottom with workable fixative.
- See the darkness from the fixative? When it was dry I reworked the meadow adding more greens. The warm colors I had put in now help make the green more exciting. I added a nice bright green in the distance and to help explain this bright spot I added a heavy layer of pale peach to the sky in the form of light peeking out through an overcast sky.
- Now for the finishing touches. I refined the trees and scumbled some lighter greens on the trees. A few marks for wildflowers place to lead viewers into the painting and I am done. I signed with a pastel pencil.
|My palette of soft pastels used for 'Meadow Walk'|
I have been working on my Facebook Fan Page. I'd love for you to stop by and 'like' my page. I will be posting different content of interest to my collectors and artist friends. www.facebook.com/karenmargulisart