|'Among the Thistles' 12x24 pastel ©Karen Margulis|
Here are a few details of the painting to give you some background:
- I am using Uart paper 500 grit that I cut into a 12x24 piece. I taped the piece to a piece of foamcore. I wanted a long and narrow piece of paper to capture this little slice of a meadow.
- I did an alcohol wash underpainting with Derwent Inktense sticks and rubbing alcohol.
- I used Terry Ludwig pastels mostly the Richard McKinley landscape set.
- I used Blair Low odor workable fixative to build the layers of the grass.
- I added the bumblebees at the very end of the painting using just a few simple marks.
I hope you enjoy the video. It is unedited in a very informal format but just imagine you are a fly on the wall of my studio watching me paint!
|close up detail|