Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Sunday, January 07, 2018

New YouTube Video: Underpainting with Inktense Blocks

'December Fog'           8x10         pastel       ©Karen Margulis
available $145

I am continuing to play with wet underpaintings this weekend. I love how a wet underpainting helps me move away from my reference photo and allows me to interpret the scene with my own voice. Today I decided to do an alcohol wash using Derwent Inktense Blocks. These look like sticks of hard pastel but they are actually blocks of water soluble ink. You can use them wet or dry but they really shine when wet. They explode with rich color. In the fall I made a short video for my patreon page showing an alcohol wash with the intense blocks. You can now watch the demo on my YouTube channel.


Derwent Inktense Blocks
Below you can see the start of the underpainting for today's foggy marsh painting . I liquified the intense with rubbing alcohol and a stiff brush. My goal was to allow some of the underpainting to show through and I was somewhat successful. I am not finished exploring this reference though and I plan to use it for a series of explorations.

Before wetting with rubbing alcohol

The underpainting once it has dried
If you would like to see the finished painting that was started in the video click here: http://kemstudios.blogspot.com/2017/10/do-you-want-explosion-of-color.html








No comments: