Visit my Patreon Page for more painting instruction and Paint Along Videos!

Friday, March 02, 2018

Fun with Pastelmat!

'Irish Sunshine'             5x5         pastel        ©Karen Margulis
 I feel like I have been on an HGTV program this week. It has been a whirlwind week of renovation and decoration. With the finishing touches done I can now relax and enjoy our new family room. We decided last weekend that it was time to replace the ugly brown carpet in the tv room. We called it the Brown Room. Ughhh. So off to the flooring store we went. We chose waterproof laminate wood in a soft gray. It completely changed the room!  It went from dull and boring to bright and airy. I might even paint in here!

Of course I needed some art for the walls. And until I find pieces that speak to me I put up some of my personal favorites. There seemed to be a theme.....wildflowers! Surprise, surprise. Just when I thought I was finished I found some shadowbox frames at the thrift store. They were perfect for the room and just need the right paintings.

Shadow box frames from Ikea
I cut some Pastelmat scraps to 5 x 5 and pulled out some of my Ireland photos. I continued to be inspired by my summer trip and my photos were the perfect inspiration for my square paintings. I really love Pastelmat. There is something nice about the softness and the way it grabs the pastel. I think I will paint these larger!

'Summer Song'        5x5       pastel

'Beauty by the Beach'         5x5       pastel

2 comments:

robertsloan2art said...

Oh these are great! Keep that little group for your own, that's so lovely together. I love the pastelmat texture, it gives the strokes a particular look that's lush and inviting. All three of these are so lyrical. I had to smile, because this is your wildflowers. Now if it was me there'd be cats hiding in all three of them.

MYSTELIOS said...

Very wonderful collection !!!